Monday, February 23, 2009

The envelope, please

Ten thoughts about the Oscars:

1. Loved the stage design this year. I read all over the place that it was modeled after Coconut Grove, which I thought was really cool.
2. I miss the movie clips.
3. Baz Luhrmann's number could have been the coolest thing ever had it not featured the kids from High School Musical.
4. I don't really care for when actors get all political at the Oscars, but I found Sean Penn's speech about Prop 8 to be moving, truthful and totally appropriate. I think it is what Harvey Milk would have said.
5. I am the only person on the planet who has not seen Slum Dog Millionaire.
6. Natalie Portman's Rodarte dress was my favorite of the night. It's pretty and fun but the color and bodice make it about as fashiony as it gets at the Oscars.
7. Huge Jackman really is dapper
8. Why can't Tina Fey and Steve Martin host the Oscars?
9. I found several moments particularly awkward, especially Jennifer Anniston's presentation. Poor thing was standing ten steps away from Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Even if you have managed to be friends with your ex, presenting the animation awards at the Oscars while inches away from your nominated ex-husband and the nominated (and stunning) woman he left you for kind of sucks.
10. Yay for Man on Wire! When the film's subject, Phillipe Petit, balanced the Oscar on his chin, I cheered. It was definitely my favorite moment of the night. 

1 comment: